Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I Need a Wife

Do you ever feel like life would be a lot easier if only you had a wife? I've determined that's what I really need since I'm not your stereotypical wife and happen to have a very traditional husband.

I know he loves me and knew exactly what he was getting when he married me, but sometimes I can't help but feel completely inadequate in fulfilling my "wifey duties." I HATE cleaning and household chores. I do them, but I loathe the daily household tasks. Going to the grocery store stresses me out. The idea of cooking completely freaks me out and overwhelms me.

What I've come to learn is that I'm a total perfectionist, so if I'm not super awesome at something or don't enjoy doing it, I try to find a way to not do it at all. I always justify by saying that I could spend my time better doing things that I'm good at. I WANT a clean home and delicious, healthy meals, but if I'm honest, I don't want to be responsible for making those things happen. I hate that about myself. I wish I felt differently. I wish I could change my mindset to enjoy those duties, but I'm not sure that's ever going to happen.

So, I have this friend that's divorced with two boys. She's dating a guy that is also divorced with two girls. They just moved in together over the summer and each have joint custody over their children. They're sort of like the modern day Brady Bunch! If you were just meeting them, you would never know that the children have a different father and mother. They all look alike which is kind of cute and they seem to get along pretty well together.

My friend has totally lucked out by dating this guy (that she will eventually marry). She found herself a wife! She's not super organized or clean, but her boyfriend is a total neat freak that loves to be organized and cleans EVERY day from top to bottom. He freaks out if the bed isn't made immediately after getting out of bed. Did I mention he loves to cook healthy gourmet meals? Yep, another huge perk.

This friend of mine gained about 50-60 pounds through the divorce process. She also owned a business with her ex, so she had to split that off and somewhat start new. Talk about stressful scenario! This new guy has decided that he will cook full meals from the South Beach diet cookbook three times a day and pack her snacks for work. Are you freakin' kidding me?! She has lost 13 lbs. in a week and a half. Wow!

Let me just say, I'm very happy for her. She deserves to be happy and treated like a queen. She was cheated on several times by her ex and very much unappreciated. I want nothing but the best for her.

All I'm saying is that I think a lot of my stress would be relieved if only I had a "wife" of my own. Then I could focus on what I'm good at and not always feel like an inadequate failure for not living up to society's expectations of what a wife should be.

My husband doesn't give me a hard time about my inadequacies. It's more me being super hard on myself. But he did admit the other day that he wouldn't mind if I did become more wifey...cook and clean more. This just confirmed that I'm not a good housewife. Dang it! I love my hubby and don't have an interest in trading him in (even though he is a complete slob), I would just like to find a wife for both of us! I'm pretty sure that would solve all my problems ;)

1 comment:

LilliJ said...

Wow, now why didn't I think of that? I could use a couple of wives myself!!! Maybe one to clean and one to cook!! But then who would do the laundry? Oh, but really I don't mind doing the laundry.. :) You know Keli, I think you have a good idea here!!! Good luck with it and know that you are not alone!!