Sunday, March 21, 2010

Make It Happen Mom - The Beginning

I can remember thinking Life is really good, and then immediately thinking, uh-oh, I think all of that is about to change. And boy, did it ever!

I was living in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL in a small condo overlooking the Sawgrass Village golf course only a  few blocks from the beach. I always dreamed of living at the beach as a child, and finally, my dream was my reality.

I was feeling great about my career, moving up the ladder and feeling blessed by the friendships I had and the relationship developing with the man I would eventually marry. I don't know that anyone ever feels that their life is  perfect, but I can remember a moment in time where I felt, Wow! My life is pretty amazing. I am so blessed!


One month after my engagement, my fiancé (now husband) told me that he was offered a promotion within his company which would result in a move to Chicago. I had never really been to Chicago, but my college roomie (born and raised in Naperville)  let me know that it gets ridiculously cold  and snows for way too many months out of the year! Being the beach girl that I am, I knew the snow and winter thing wouldn't come easy for me.

I was in love, so I decided to take a leap of faith and walk away from all of the things I loved; family, friends, my career and the beach lifestyle!

I remember driving up to Chicago over the course of a couple days with my two dogs and cat. That's a trip I'll never forget! I remember staying over night at the Motel 6 because it was the only lodging option that allowed pets. Sleep? Are you kidding me?! Not a chance. Let's just say, there's a lot of activity throughout the night at the Motel 6.

I remember rolling into the AMLI at Seven Bridges after and my fiancé saying, "Home sweet home!"

Can you believe that? I let him select where we would live without seeing the place first. Looking back, even I am amazed! I must say though, he did a great job! It was the perfect place to start out.

I was grateful to my company, a national IT consulting firm, for allowing me to transfer to the Downers Grove office in the same role I had been recently promoted to in Florida. At least, I thought I was grateful. It was a tough start and my friendly, happy-go-lucky attitude was less than well received in this dog-eat-dog Chicago market. People told me time and time again, "You're too nice. No one will ever respect you in business when you're as nice as you are."

And I can remember thinking, but that's exactly what got me to be the leading sales person (out of the recently promoted) in Jacksonville.

It didn't take long for me to realize, this was a different ball game and it wasn't meant for me to play.

As a super social and friendly person, I was surprised to find out how difficult it was to make new friends and figure out where I fit in. Thankfully, the Young Professionals of Naperville opened a lot of doors to new friendships and new career opportunities.

After fourteen months in Naperville, I finally had some friends, an exciting new career path, got married and bought a house. Things were looking up! Once again, I remember thinking, okay, life is pretty great! I am feeling so blessed! ...Uh-oh!


Of course, nothing stays calm and consistent for very long. Four months after we were married, the shock of our life: We're Pregnant!


Stay tuned for that story! It is sure to make you laugh!

No comments: